|Name:||Cranberry Apple Pie||Contributor:||Nick Olson|
|Description:||Emeril Lagasse's Cranberry Apple Pie||Posted:||1998-11-20|
|Key words:||cranberries, apple, pie||Category:||Desserts|
|Ingredients:||1/2 recipe Basic Pie Dough
1-3/4 c light brown sugar
2 Tbsp heavy cream
5 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 lb Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored,
and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 4 cups)
2 c fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
3/4 c granulated sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 c walnut pieces
Ice cream (optional)
|Preparation:||1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare the Basic Pie Dough and line pie pan. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
3. In a bowl combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix well. In another bowl combine the apples, cranberries and lemon juice, and toss well. Pour the dry mixture over the fruit. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter, pour it over all, and mix thoroughly.
4. Turn the mixture into the pie shell and bake the pie until the fruit is tender, for about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and set the pie on a rack to cool.
5. In a large skillet oven medium heat, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons butter with the granulated sugar. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is bubbling and the consistency of a thick roux, for about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the cream, vanilla, and walnuts and cook, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool for 20 minutes. Spoon the topping over the cooled pie and refrigerate overnight.
6. To serve, cut the pie into wedges, and add a scoop of ice cream, if you like.
|Notes:||Good Morning America
GMA's Emeril Lagasse serves up a delicious cranberry apple pie with sweet
walnut topping ... just in time for Thanksgiving! The recipe is taken from
his book, Emeril's New New Orleans Cooking.