|Name:||Willson fruitcake||Contributor:||Shasta Willson|
|Description:||Willson family recipe fruitcake||Posted:||2007-12-17|
|Key words:||nuts, fruit, cake||Category:||Desserts|
|Ingredients:||1.5 C currants
1 C golden raisins
1 C figs, chopped
1.2 C dried pineapple
1 C mixed other fruit : prunes, apricots, peaches, cherries...
Soak in 1.5C boiling H2O and 1/4 C Christian Bros. Brandy for 2 hours.
1.5 C each : brazil nuts, walnuts
1 C each : pecans, almonds
2C white flour
.5 C wheat germ
.5 t each mace, allspice
.25t each cloves ginger
1t baking soda
.5 C melted butter
.75 C honey
1/3 C molasses
1/3 C brandy
1/3 C buttermilk
|Preparation:||1) mix fruit and nuts
2) mix dry and eggy mixtures
3) add 1/2 wet stuff to fruit+nuts
4) add enough wet to coat all the fruit and nuts, but not make it swimming. (Just enough to glue it together.)
5) put in 3 lg loaf pans or 2 large, 2 small and top with a few perfect pecans.
6) bake at 325 until top cracks or loaves pass toothpick test.
Put cooled cakes in freezer bags and baste w/ 1/4C brandy. Put in fridge and baste weekly for one month. (Note : I somehow often wind up over-basting and making things a bit soggy. Don't do that. A spoonful every few days seems to work better, and when there's no noticeable moisture, baste the next bit.)
|Notes:||My only request is that this recipe be marked as "Willson fruitcake". It's our family recipe, but I can't think of a better legacy than to share it with y'all.|